A NEW CAR! NEW AND IMPROVED! NEW NEW NEW!
We are obsessed with new. Do you want to know some good news? No, I'm not talking about The GOOD NEWS that Jesus died and resurrected so that you could have a relationship with Him now and for all eternity. I'm talking about how God's mercies are new every day! Lamentations tells us
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23
As we get ready to kick off the New Year, I want to remind you that you have a new start. No matter how you’re year went, how many times you screwed up, or how many times someone hurt you, you have a new start! Take time this week to seek God and ask Him what needs to change in your life? Here are some questions to reflect on in prayer time with God:
- What relationship do you need to end?
- Is there that one person or group of people you hang out with that you know is dragging you down? Do they help you grow closer to Jesus or pull you further away from Him?
- What bad habit needs to stop?
- Alcohol, drugs, porn, poor eating habits, your view of yourself, lack of sleep, unwise spending, poor use of your time… The list could go on and on forever.
- What good habits should you start?
- Reading your Bible daily, seeking Jesus daily, wise spending of time and resources, daily affirmations, eating better, exercising… This list could go on forever too.
- What is the next step you need to take to grow closer to Jesus?
- Maybe you need to finally surrender your life to Jesus and trust him with your WHOLE life. Get baptized, start serving others in the church and your community, join a group at Highlands, read your Bible daily, start tithing, tell someone you know about how Jesus has changed your life. Whatever your next step, we are here to help you on your journey. Let us know your next step here.
I heard a message from Andy Stanley once that said, “It’s always a mistake to decide what you want to do, before you decide who you want to be”. You can watch that message here if you are interested. Make a decision today about what type of person you want to be in 2022. I’d encourage you to take time to watch that message this week.
Finally, before we end with a prayer, I was going to write out some great tips on goal setting and productivity, but decided instead, to link you to a great podcast that has helped me and so many others on our church staff. It’s the Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast. He did a podcast at the end of last year titled, “Your Most Focused Year Ever”. Take time to watch this week as well.
Here’s a prayer to get you started, but remember to prayerfully work out the answers to the questions above as well.
Jesus thank You for Christmas! I’m so grateful You were born to this world and willingly sacrificed Yourself for me. Father, thank You for sending Your Son! Help me to live my life in a way that is honoring to that sacrifice you made.
Lord I want to have the best year ever and I know that the only way for that to happen is to do it with You. I confess to You my sins of (fill in the blank). I want to repent of those and walk away from them and my own desires and walk towards You. Father thank You for a new start! Help me to grow closer and closer to You each day and become more and more like Your Son. What is the one next step I need to take? Will You reveal that to me now? Lord give me the courage to be bold and take that step.
Help me to not be at this same place at this same time next year. Holy Spirit, guide me every day and convict me when I make mistakes. Help me to not run from You when I screw up but instead run to You. Thank You for loving me, Amen!
We at Highlands Fellowship want you to have the best year ever! Please let us know how we can pray for you and hold you accountable for your goals this year. Pastor Allen will have an incredible message this weekend about goals so make plans to attend in-person or online. Also, sign up to read the whole New Testament with us as a church. More details about that are to come, but you can sign up now.
Have a safe and Happy New Year!